After milling all the molding, I set it aside. I final sanded and finished the spindles and finials. To protect the areas that would need to take glue, I applied masking tape. Then, I drilled the holes in the ends of them.
I glued together the scroll board, spindles, sides and also the base. It looks like a miniature “temple” standing on the end of my workbench. After sanding, I can get the measurements for the moldings. Used an enlarged, shop-made miter gauge extension to cut the miters on the arched door molding (see Figure 2 below).
The same miter gauge extension with a nail placed strategically in it helped to hold the gooseneck molding while I cut the miters in it. Then I used the disc sander to achieve the final fit on all the miters. Here again, my rabbeting plane came in handy to final form the corners after gluing the miters. Even though it's part of a classic technique to use brads or small nails to attach the moldings, I used glue alone. Attaching these moldings felt like applying the final decorations to my benchtop “temple”!
Got the knife hinge, pull and catch for the door. Hung the door so it swings hinged from the right (called a left-hand door). Don't know why, but that's the way the doors on almost all tall case clocks swing.