Finished the upper molding. Had to do a good bit of careful sanding to remove the saw and molder knife cut marks. Don't want to lose the hard edges of the transition points at the beginning and end of the cove -- these steps help define the lines of the clock. Used a wood cylinder padded with tissue paper under coarse Garnet sandpaper. No sense getting them sanded extremely smooth -- before I get to the final sanding of the whole clock, the wood grain on all the separate pieces will have to be raised again due to temperature and humidity changes.
Cut the miters and made sure they all looked good. Didn't glue them up, yet. The overall dimensions of the carcass they fit onto won't be known until I actually do the final sanding.
The lower molding is a three-piece affair. If it were only one piece, the upper bead would get in the way of making the cove. The contours of this lower molding will hide the glue joints. When I got around to gluing-up the miters on the moldings, I discovered that I didn't need to clamp them. I just held them by hand for about a minute to make sure the aliphatic resin glue made a good bond between the two pieces of wood. Them, I simply set them aside to let them dry completely. There was plenty of “set” between the pieces to keep the joint tight.
Next, I made the upper and lower rails for the Waist. Since the construction of the doors for the Waist and the Base will be about the same, I'll hold off on making the Waist door for right now and make them both together when I make the door for the Base.